Organized fire suppression can be confirmed dating back to 1893. South Lyon's first fire fighting was done strictly with novice volunteers using a hand cart, hook & ladder truck, and hose reel. In 1918, the City formally established a fire department. Many cisterns were placed around town to store water in case of fire. The South Lyon Historical Society has three early Sanborn Maps that were done for the fire department (shown below). Cisterns were at Lake/Lafayette and Liberty/Lafayette.
Photos and maps are provided by South Lyon Historical Society along with the personal collections of Jesse Winters and Jan Renwick.
SLFD would like to give a special recognition and appreciation to Norman Somers for the sharing of his South Lyon historical knowledge and access to Historical Society archives.
1913 Sanborn Maps
The below maps from 1913 list the fire department's inventory as "1 hand engine, 1 hook & ladder truck, 1 hose cart with 500' 2" hose, & 12 volunteer firemen."