Free alarms and installation for City of South Lyon Residents!
You have only minutes to escape during a fire. Working smoke alarms save lives. More than 2,200 people die each year because of unintentional home fires. Almost two-thirds of these fire deaths occur in homes with no smoke alarms or with smoke alarms that don’t work. A smoke alarm’s warning can cut the risk of dying from a fire in your home by almost half!
Fire Safety Tips
- Install a working smoke alarm on every level of your home, outside sleeping areas, and inside bedrooms.
- Replace smoke alarm batteries once every year.
- Always stay in the kitchen when cooking. Stand by your pan!
- Know how to escape if there is a fire in your home. Have a plan and practice it with your family.
- Replace smoke alarms that are more than 10 years old. They don’t last forever.
SLFD has a program for city residents where SLFD firefighters will install detectors at no charge to the residents.
The Prevention page for all of the information and to have alarms installed at your home!