Firefighter Applications - There are two types of Firefighter Applications.
Both Types, Local and District, are part-time & employees may not exceed 1,500 hours annually.
Local - Experience NOT Needed to apply!
- Applicant must live within a 0 to 4.25-mile radius from the South Lyon Fire Station. Applicants must have some availability to respond to emergency calls when they occur and will have the option if they choose to work shifts as well.
- SLFD will pay to put applicant through fire and EMT training.
- SLFD will pay for the course fees and pay the applicant an hourly wage while in class.
- Applicants must respond to a minimum of 12% of incidents each month OR work a minimum of 1 shift per week.
- A combination of shifts worked and run percentage attendance will be taken into consideration and combined.
- The goal is to make sure employees are engaged in the department.
District Firefighter/EMT's - Firefighter I & II/ EMT-B Required to apply.
- Applicants may live outside the 4.25-mile radius from the South Lyon Fire Station.
- Applicants must be able to commit to work a minimum of 1 shift per week on average over a year.
- The South Lyon Fire Department is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for all positions are considered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
- Applicants must be eighteen (18) years of age and have at minimum, a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Applicants shall have a valid Michigan driver's license with good driving record.
- Applicants may not have felony, drug, violent crime, or criminal sexual conduct convictions.
Complete the application and drop off or mail to the address: South Lyon Fire Department, 217 Whipple Street, South Lyon, MI 48178
A completed application, with signatures, may be scanned and then emailed to the following: firstname.lastname@example.org